Problem: Leakage from Flanges due to gasket failure
Why do solid gaskets fail – leak/seep/crack
- Best machined flanges will be have surface irregularities that solid gasket cannot seal. For cast ,stamped , sheet metal flanges the problem gets aggravated.
- Compression set – Solid gasket relaxes with time
- Due to internal pressure and vibrations the gasket tends to bow out
- finding accurate sized gasket during maintenance replacement is difficult
Solution: Replace Solid gasket with Liquid Gasket sealant
Supex Silicone Sealant, Liquid gasket sealant, replaces solid gaskets. These liquid sealants are called ‘ Formed in place’ Gaskets, FIPG.
Features and Benefits
- 100% leak proof flange joints till the life of the assembly
- Costly machining of flanges not required. Can be applied on cast, stamped, sheet metal flanges.
- Can be applied by manual gun, pneumatic gun or automatic dispensing system – easy application
- No downtime since any shape gasket can be made insitu.
How to use liquid RTV gasket sealantCleaning:
- Clean the area to be sealed such that it is free from dust, loose particles
- ensure that cleaning is done using acetone or MEK. Do not use kerosene, diesel or petrol to clean the flanges. It leaves residue that react with the sealants and create leak path.
- Use firm and dry cotton cloth and not jute or loose fabric which will remain on the flange surface.
- cut the tip of the silicone cartridge or puncture the silicone sealant tube.
- Apply a uniform bead of the sealant from the tube
- assemble the flanges within the skin formation time of rtv sealant , ie: within 10- 15 minutes for regular grade of rtv gasket sealants.
- Preferably use anaerobic theadlocker to lock the bolts after assembling.
Industries and ApplicationsLiquid gasketing is becoming very popular with Automotive industry. All the automotive manufacturers , viz: Passenger cars, 2 wheelers, Commercial vehicles, Tractors, Agricultural machines, Railway Engines, Gensets use Liquid gaskets for all critical flange joints.
- Oil pan sump gasket sealing
- Head gasket dressing with high temperature sealant
- camshaft cover sealing
- transmission cover sealing
- exhaust manifold gasket sealer
- differnetial gasket sealer
- thermostat gasket sealer
- water pump gasket sealer
- fuel pump gasket sealer
- valve cover gasket maker
What is liquid gasket sealant?
It is a Sealant in semi paste or liquid form applied on flanges to seal them permanently. They seal the gaps , surface imperfections completely. It seals and bonds to make a single structural unit instead of two flanges joined by a third material.
Can I use silicone instead of gasket?
definitely Yes. Silicone sealant is a popular replacement for solid gaskets. Typically used for cast, stamped and sheet metal flanges where the gap is more than 1 mm. Silicone sealant gaskets can sustain up to 250C and presuure up to 10 Bars.
How long does liquid gasket take to dry?
Typically, RTV Silicone sealants require a minimum of two hours to set up and 24-hours to achieve the full cure that’s needed before adding fluids or returning the vehicle to service. Anaerobic flange sealants and gasket makers need about an hour to cure.
Do I need sealant on a rubber gasket?
Rubber gasket can be coated on both sides with liquid sealant for a long-lasting, leak-free seal.
At some places rubber gasket is also used as a shim or spacer , for such situations you can apply sealant on both the faces of the flanges or gasket. This will ensure no leakage from the joints till it is reopened for maintenance purposes.