Supex High Temperature Gasket Silicone Adhesive Sealant is a ready to use, single component, room temperature, vulcanizing adhesive/sealant which works upto 280 C. Uncured Supex™ High Temperature Gasket Silicone Adhesive Sealant is a red, viscous, non-sag, low volatile acetoxy RTV which cures to a flexible rubber. The material cures on exposure to atmospheric moisture to provide a tough, flexible, waterproof, oil-resistant silicone rubber seal. It is specially formulated to meet the low silicone volatiles requirements of the automotive industry for 280º C flange sealants. The non-sag properties of this ready-to-use sealant allows its use on vertical as well as horizontal surfaces.
Chemical Base: Acetoxy silicone
Specific gravity (ASTM D 1045–86): 1,02 ± 0,03 gr/cm³
Extrusion (ISO 6927): 400 g/min
Tack free time (25ºC and 50% R.H): 20–30 min.
Cure Rate(1 day) (25ºC and 50% R.H): 3 mm
Modulus at 100% (MPa) (ASTM D412): 0,4 Mpa
Tensile Strength (ASTM D412): 1,80 Mpa
Elongation at Break (ASTM D412): 500
Shore Hardness: 22 Shore A
Where to use High Temperature Gasket Silicone sealant
Applications for both plant maintenance and small, medium and large-sized OEM include:
- High temperature (600ºF) Adhesive – Bonds most all substrates including silicone rubber.
- Gasket dressing and sealant to up-grade conventional metal and specialty pre-cut gaskets that often fail at 600ºF.
- Formed-in-place Gasket/Sealant to replace pre-formed gaskets that fail to function up to +600ºF.
- Seal and encapsulate heating elements in electrical appliances up to 500ºF continuous operation.
- Sealant and adhesive for assembly and repair of industrial furnaces, ovens, boilers, exhaust stacks and high temperature ducting up to 500ºF continuous operation
USES of RED RTV
- This product is specifically formulated for gasketing and sealing where high temperatures (600ºF) are experienced such as exhaust manifolds – crossovers, high temperature
ovens and furnaces.
- Applications where sealing and bonding are required under frequent exposure to temperatures above 450ºF to 600ºF would be the proper application for Supex High Temperature RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant.
- As a formed-in-place gasket/sealant Supex High Temperature RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant has been designed to give outstanding performance in typical automotive gasketing applications including valve covers, oil pans, water pumps, end seals, and rear axle housings. Excellent adhesive for bonding and repairing fabricated silicone gaskets.
How to use High temperature RTV Silicone sealant
- Clean all mating surfaces with MEK, Acetone or water based cleaner prior to applying High Temperature RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant. Supex Paint stripper or plastic scrapper is recommended to remove all old gasketing material from mating surfaces.
- Finally, clean and dry the surfaces with Cleaner & Degreaser or mineral spirits.
- Apply High Temp RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant in a continuous bead around all holes and perimeters of mating parts. Then assemble parts within 5 minutes by
mating the two surfaces. Press or clamp firmly (do not slide parts together). The sealant will become tack-free on the exposed surfaces in less than one hour after application. A 1/4 inch diameter bead exposed to atmospheric moisture cures in approximately 24 hours.
- Clean up and Removal Uncured High Temp RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant should be cleaned up immediately with Cleaning Solvent or mineral spirits. Cured silicone rubber can be cut away with appropriate scrapers.
Packaging : In 280 ml cartridge, 280 ml x 24 per box
Colour : Red
Shelf Life: Store the product in a cool and dry place. The shelf life is 12 months.
Caution : Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with skin. Use only in well ventilated areas. Don’t use in aquariums.
Health and Safety
For information and advice on the safe handling, storage and disposal of chemical products, users shall refer to the most recent Material Safety Data Sheet containing, physical, ecological, and toxicological and other safety related data.
What is red RTV silicone used for?
Supex Red RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) Silicone Adhesive is the simple way to seal, protect, bond, insulate and waterproof. Superb for forming instant, custom-shaped gaskets, Red RTV Silicone adheres to most materials used in the industrial, electrical, metalworking and construction industries
Is Red RTV silicone high temp sealant?
Supex High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker is formulated for high temperature applications or heavy-duty use such as towing. … Resists auto and shop fluids, with a temperature range of -65° F to 600° F intermittent.
Does silicone RTV melt or burn?
While most plastics will begin to melt at high temperatures, silicone does not have a melting point and remains solid until combustion occurs. At high temperatures (200-450oC), silicone rubber will slowly lose its mechanical properties over time, becoming brittle.
Can you use Red RTV silicone sealant on exhaust manifolds?
You can use Red RTV silicone sealant on the joint to the head as it is cooled by the head itself and does not get that hot. The Y piece joints generally run too hot for even the hi temp silicone and it burns off and the joint then tends to leak. The last joint to the rear muffler is normally cool enough again to use silicone.
Can I use RTV with a gasket?
Yes, you can. It is called ‘gasket dressing’.In many cases the solid gasket also works as a spacer and can’t be replaced. In such cases, to avoid leakages from flanges we apply silicone on both the flanges and then place solid gasket. This ensures 100% leak free joint.
What is the maximum pressure red rtv can sustain?
8- 10 Bars