Why the need for Gap Filler Sealant
Gap filler sealant is used regularly in industrial and construction applications. We try and explore why is the gap is created and why do we need to seal it.
Why is the gap created:
Industrial : gaps between flanges due to surface irregularities, Engineering tolerances. When two surface of best machined flanges are mated, metal to metal contact is < 40%. This is due to crest and troughs on the machined surface not visible to naked eye. These micro gaps become potential leak path in future. Hence such gaps needs to be sealed with a suitable sealant. Anaerobic adhesive is suitable for machined flanges and silicone sealant is better for cast or sheet metal flanges.
- Gap between window frame and concrete wall: Difference in designed dimensions and manufactured dimensions.
- gap between PU panels: gap is maintained by design for easy installation and maintenance
- Gap between core cut holes and utility pipes, trays, wires etc.
- Gap between Door frame and Concrete wall
Why do we seal these Gaps?
To stop entry of water, atmospheric air, polluting atmospheric gases, sound insulation, electric insulation, water proofing etc.
Sealant selection procedure
- Gap between the joints in mm
- Flexibility of the joint depending upon if it is subjected to expansion/ contraction
- Exposure to external environment . Viz : Sunlight – is it UV resistant
- Chemical resistance : exposure to corrosive chemicals, acids, fuels etc
- Temperature to be sustained by the assembly
- Expected life of the joint : sometimes sealant is used temporarily to hold parts together
- Paintibility – can it painted over
- Ease of application
Pre-polymer is packed in 750 ml aerosol can with a carrier agent. An adopter ( straw pipe) is screwed onto the tip of can, shaken 15-20 times, inverted upside down and press lever. Liquid foam comes out under pressure and expands upon contact with atmosphere. It expands and cures ( dries) by reacting with the atmospheric moisture into ‘ thermocol’. This cured PU foam provides sound insulation, electrical insulation, water resistance, 100% sealing and bonding, heat insulation.
It is used by various industries including construction, solar, industrial, HVAC and etc.
FR Pu foam is fire retardant too. B1 FR PUF provides 120 minutes of fire retardancy.
- High gap filling capability > 2 inches
- High coverage- low application cost
- Insulates against electricity, Sound, Water, heat- verastile product
Window gap Sealing- Interior & Exterior
High gap filling : Fill up with PU foam with Supex 100 PUF first, then apply top coat with Supex 500 acrylic paintable sealant.
Regular gap filling: Supex 500 paintable acrlyic sealant.
Gap filler for Walls
External walls– use Supex PU 25, high strength | High gap fill | High elongation | Paintable | Long life Polyurethane sealant
Internal Walls- Use Supex 500, flexible | paintable | doesnt crack when exposed to varying climate | cost effective
Waterproof Gap Filler
Terrace floor cracks, hairline cracks on beam, column or pillars- Supex MS construction sealant 603UV
Benefits of Supex 603UV over regular/ traditional sealants
- Excellent weather resistance, long life
- high gap filling
- high elongation and high strength too
- bonds all building material without primer