Need for Adhesive & sealants for Indian Railway
Indian Railway uses various adhesives and sealants. What are the typical application and uses? What could be the factors that matter for the railways industry? It will be in their best interests to ensure that the trains are safe and comfortable for regular use, while also having a long lifetime. Sealants and adhesives play a lesser-known but highly significant role while manufacturing a train that meets these broad criteria. They are thus used regularly for both interior and exterior application. Sealants and adhesives are used in almost all parts of railway manufacturing. From design to production to maintenance, be it for high-speed trains to light rail transit.
Uses of Adhesive & sealants Railways in India
- New Engines or Locomotives – Eg: DLW, CLW
- Strip Down Maintenance of Diesel Locos – Eg: DMW Patiala
- In running maintenance of Locos- Loco Worshop – Tkd ( Tughlakabad Shed, Howrah Loco Shed, Hubli Loco shed etc.
- Railway coach manufacturing – RCF Kathurthala, ICF Chennai, Raebarely Coach factory.
- Strip down maintenance of coaches- Jagidri workshop, Lucknow coach factory.
- ‘Sick Line’ Running Maintenance of Rakes
- Signalling and track Maintenance.
- station Maintenance .
- RDSO Lucknow -approvals for any design change or technology change.
Challenges for Indian Railway
Indian Railway is Nation’s largest transporter of people and goods. It is also the largest employer. Railways is poised to grow using better technology and management structures. So what are the chief challenges Indian Railways is working to overcome.
Safety : Human lives can be compensated with anything and 8.5 billion (approx) human lives have been transported in 2019. Any development, change needs to be vetted from safety officials too.
Reduced travel time, more speed : ‘ Speed is the need’ . Bullet train, Gatiman express, high speed rail tracks, fencing to ward of human and animals,
Lighter, Stronger, Safer, faster Locomotives & coaches
Protection against Corrosion
Track maintenance : Remote monitoring of tracks for regular maintenance and prevent sabotage
Reduced operating cost
New track laying: Especially in the Himalayan range which includes Kashmir, Ladakh, Himachal, Uttarakhand, North East.
Health and Hygiene
On time running of trains, travel comfort and amenities
Dominant market share in inland freight
Advantages of Adhesive & Sealants vs Traditional methods
Being lighter in weight and offering greater adhesive strength is simply one of the advantages. We have listed some of the benefits of sealants and why they should be preferred:
- Strength: Sealants show a much higher adhesive strength than welded bonds or fasteners. Alongwith that being flexible and immune to hazards.
- Application: Alternatives like welding require skilled professionals. On the contrary, sealant or adhesive can be applied by users with basic training. It comes in bottles, cartridges, sausages, spray cans. This makes application easier.
- Durability: sealants and adhesives do not corrode easily under harsh climatic conditions. Thus, it makes them more suitable than other alternatives like traditional fasteners and welded bonds.
- Eco-friendliness: Sealants and adhesives of today strive to be eco-friendly. They are formulated in such a way that they contain no isocyanate, silicone, halogens or solvents.
- Cost effective
Design • Build • Operate • Repair • Remanufacture
- Options for new designs and innovate materials
- New Products with upgraded Health and Safety
- Impact and vibration resistant – the bond will endure
- Solutions to improve durability
- Solutions for light-weighting vehicle
- Solutions to improve vehicle appearance
Typical Adhesive Applications- Indian Railway
Indian Railway uses adhesives sealants for almost all areas of manufacturing and maintenance.
Threadlocking, thread sealing, cylindrical bonding, flange sealing
Elastic Bonding join dissimilar structural materials. Primarily designed to replace welds, rivets and other mechanical fasteners in the body, paint or trim shops, our wide range of high strength adhesives enable the assembly of non-metallic substrates and open new perspectives of lightweight designs. Adhesives optimize acoustic performance and contribute to weight reduction. The distributed load an adhesive provides versus the stress concentrations of mechanical fastening allows thinner, lower weight panels to be implemented, reducing weight.
Window bonding & sealing
Designed to bond windscreens and side windows to the train body. Based on the substrates, there are a variety of engineered products and primers that provide exceptional performance. These include products formulated to provide primerless adhesion and instant fixturing to products, with controlled and uniform curing.
Designed to prevent leakage, our robust seam sealants work effectively on metals, plastics and composites, and can be applied during any phase of vehicle or component assembly. Our current seam sealant technologies include products that are paintable and resistant to paint cure processes.
Rust looseners and lubricants, metal epoxies for rebuild and repair, anti seize compounds, instant bonders etc.