Choosing the right Silicone sealant at best price is a challenging task. Silicone Sealant, generally available in paste form, cures (dries) after reacting with moisture to form rubber like flexible compound. It also releases a by-product during this curing process . Based on the by-product generated, Silicones are classified into two categories that is Neutral & Acetoxy silicones.
RTV sealants are generally resistant to chemicals, moisture and weathering, making them suitable for indoor and outdoor applications. RTV sealant can also be modified to match the needs of a specific application.
- Heat resistance: GP silicone sealant works up to 150C. High temperature RTV sealant. can withstand up to 315ºC (600ºF).
- Electric protection and insulation: when electric and electronic materials such as silver, brass and copper need sealing, one should choose for a RTV silicone which protects seals and insulates for example in the electronics industry.
- Resistance to micro-organisms: RTV silicone waterproofing sealants are watertight and common as sealing solutions in humid environments. Eg: swimming pools, industrial kitchens.
- Chemical resistance: RTV silicone is generally resistant to some chemicals. Formula modification allows for example for acid and solvent resistance depending on the environment´s requirements.
Advantages of RTV sealants
- UV stability, long life
- Color stability.
- Chemical resistance
- Adhesion to variety of construction surfaces.
- Exceptional high movement accommodation.
- Extreme temperature resistance.
- High workability.
Classification: Silicone Sealant price & types
Silicones are classified with keeping in mind their curing systems
- Acidic cure, Acetoxy
- Neutral cure
- Alkaline cure
Acetoxy GP Silicone Sealant- low price
Most popular & thus used extensively due to lower price. One of the top selling product amongst silicones. Features including Acetoxy cure , low cost , low elongation, Resistant to sunlight making it undoubtedly suitable for general gap filling applications. Price is an important criteria for product selection thus making it the most popular above all. It Bonds to most substrates except PP, PTFE, LDPE, HDPE and low energy substrates.
Uses of low price acetoxy silicone sealant
These sealants ideally suited for sealing, glass, windows, shopfront, aluminium joints, showcases, bus body building and automobiles on the whole.
Furthermore, it is apt for building and construction joints , Glazing and connection joints, elastic joints in cold store and container applications, Sealings in air condition systems last but not the least in General sealing for automotive applications
- Firstly,High quality GP Silicones from reputed Brands like Dowsil, Wacker, Supex, Momentive, Mccoy, Boss . etc.Supex 200 GP
3. Lastly, Branded Silicone RTV sealants which are admittedly in between the low cost sealants and high quality reputed branded GP sealants and as a result their prices are also in the middle bracket. Typical examples: Dr Fixit, Anabond , Smartcare ( Asian Paints) Resibond, Astral, Abro, Alstone etc.
Packing: 260 ml , 280 ml , 300 ml cartridge
Colours Available : Translucent, White, Black as well as Other special colours as per requirements.
Disadvantages of GP Silicone
- bonding with porous substrates is poor ,eg: concrete
- bonding with uPVC is poor
- strong odour
- releases acetic acid as by-product during curing, this acid is corrosive and corrodes metal surface. Automotive OEM generally dont use acetoxy silicones in the engine/transmission/ under the hood.
- it is not sensor safe
- durability and sustainability is lesser than neutral grade silicones
- shrinkage due to high solvent content
Neutral Cure Silicone Sealant
Classification of Neutral cure silicones
1. Construction – Structural, Weather, Sanitary/kitchen, Neutral+ general purpose
- Neutral plus RTV sealant
- Weather Silicone:
- Sanitary Silicone:
2. Industrial– Gasketing/Flange sealing, Food grade approved, High temperature
- Flange Sealing
- Food grade RTV Silicone
3. Electronics :
Potting, Encapsulation, Electrically and Thermally conductive types
1. RTV sealants for Construction:
A. Structural Silicone/ Glazing sealant
Silicone structural glazing is the use of a silicone sealant for the structural transfer of loads from the glass to its perimeter support system and retention of the glass in the opening.
Wind load and other impact loads on the façade are transferred from the glass or panel, through the structural silicone sealant and subsequently to the structure of the building. The silicone sealant must maintain not only its adhesive but also its cohesive strength on the facade for the reason of withstanding the wind loads and thermal stresses.
The one part structural silicone sealant packaging options allow for more flexibility of use by the installer, as the silicone can be conveniently used on building sites with minimal fuss.
B. Weather Silicone Sealant
These Sealants are used for typical construction applications.
Neutral Cure glazing silicone sealants are very popular due to its bonding capability with Glass and metals. Alongwith bonding abilities, excellent weathering ability makes it popular to be used against water / atmosphere admittance in metal structures and civil constructions.
Excellent adhesion properties especially on glass, laminated glass, coated aluminum, galvanized steel, concrete and masonry.
Alternatively, High tensile strength besides high elongation properties.
Uses of weather silicone:
- For weatherproofing sealing of nonstructural curtain wall joints,facade joints
- Weather sealing in metal, glass,stone,aluminum panel, and plastic
- All usual building, connection, expansion and dilatation joints
- Excellent for double glazing system applications.
- lastly, Weather sealing of expansion joints in the facade industry
Packings : 280 , 300 ml cartridge, 600 ml sausage
Colours: Black,White, Translucent as well as Grey
To sum up. Weather Silicone Trend in India can be differentiated in 3 categories
- Firstly, Most Popular and Highest selling weather silicone : Dowsil 789
- Secondly, Reputed brands including Wacker, Boss, Mccoy, Momentive etc
- Thirdly, Cheap Chinese imports.
However, this being a critical application , contractors prefer to use reliable brands despite being a little costly.
C. General Purpose Neutral Cure Silicones
GP Neutral cure silicone sealant is a multipurpose while being a cost effective neutral cure silicone sealant.
Uses of GP Neutral plus Silicone sealants: It should be noted that GP Neutral silicones sealant will bond to make strong weatherproof seal on most common building material in the case of glass, concrete, aluminium, brick, steel, ceramic, plastic and most porus & non porous Substrates.
Features and Advantages – GP Neutral cure Silicone :
- Neutral cure/low odor
- Low modulus, Permanently flexible
- Excellent adhesion to vinyl, wood, steel, aluminum, glass and plastic
- VOC Compliant
- Sealing electrical equipment
Packing: 280 , 300 ml cartridge .
Colours : Translucent, Black, White, Grey . Special colours are made as per request.
D. Anti Fungal, Bathroom/Kitchen Sealant
One of the most well-known applications of a silicone joint sealant is in your bathroom and kitchen. In recent years bathrooms and kitchens have become more luxurious. More and more money and time is spent to create a “wet” area that ticks all the boxes of the consumer’s needs, demands and requirements.
Classic sanitary materials, such as ceramics, enamel and glass are being replaced by materials such as natural stone, stainless steel and plastics such as polyester and PMMA . In order to ensure optimum adhesion and to achieve a durable and sustainable seal on these “new” materials, also “new” joint sealants are required.
One component RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanising)
Excellent UV resistance
Can be applied to overhead or vertical joints
Excellent adhesion on porous and non-porous substrates
Gasketing/ Flange sealing
You name any 2 or 4 wheeler, truck, tractor, Stationery engines, Generators, construction equipments like Tipper, Trailer, Payloader, Dumper etc – each one of them as a rule have been sealed using advanced silicone sealants . Typical Automotive Engine applications include
- Oil sump to engine block flange sealing
- Transmission cover sealing
- Cam Shaft cover sealing
- Engine Block to Head Flange sealing .There are various sealing & bonding applications accomplished using such sealants.
These sealants are also used extensively in Industrial manufacturing like heavy duty pumps, gear boxes, white goods, LEDs, Solar units, compressors. They also find usage for MRO applications in process plants, eg: paper, power, chemical, sugar, mines etc.
Typical properties of Industrial sealants namely are
- High tensile strength
- High movement capability , elongation
- Resistance to chemicals, fuel , engine oil, transmission oil.
- Easy removal from the surface while overhauling and applying new sealant.
- Non corrosive and sensor safe – typically neutral cure silicone is used.
- High temperature resistance , from 150 to 450 C
- lastly, Withstand internal pressure up to 10 Bars
High Temperature RTV sealants
These Sealants have high operating temperature capability ranging as high as 450 C.
Apart from high operating temperature capability they are characteritised by :
- Excellent adhesion or bonding strength
- Resistance to chemicals, fuels
Generally,it is used for high temperature Gasketing ( flange sealing) , sealing & also bonding in Ovens.
RTV Food Grade Sealant
Food manufacturing plants , pharma units , clean rooms without a doubt have very stringent norms to adhere too.
Any chemical used in the plant which directly or indirectly comes in contact with the End product has to be ‘FDA’ approved ,ie: in other words, it is safe even if the used chemical comes in direct contact with the end product manufactured . Eg: Medicine manufacturing unit, Horlicks manufacturing plant.
For reason of such norms, customer insist on food grade approved sealant.
These are regular sealants used for gap filling, flange sealing, general bonding and sealaing. However, these are manufactured in the same way such that it passes FDA strict norms for incidental food contact with the chemical.
Packing: 280 , 300 ml cartridge
Colours : White/ Clear Silicone Sealant
Is Silicone Sealant Waterproof?
Silicone is one of the most prominently used sealants to achieve a waterproof, protective joint . The flexible, rubbery sealant has high heat resistance and low toxicity, making an ideal sealant choice for plumbing pipes, aquariums, ships, and other metal fabrication projects that require a watertight seal.
Does silicone sealant stick to glass?
Silicone sealants are commonly used to bond surfaces such as plastic, metal, and glass together. Eg, aquariums are sealed with silicone. Windows sealed to frames with silicone adhesive since it is weather resistant.
How long should you leave silicone sealant to dry?
While some sealants may dry to the touch quickly, silicone sealant takes approximately 24 hours to fully cure; humidity levels in the home can slow or speed curing times. We recommend waiting at least 3 to 12 hours before exposing the fresh sealant to water.
How do you remove Silicone?
Kindly call us or whatsapp at 9833892782.