Fire Rated Acrylic Sealant
Firecryl FR is a fire rated acrylic sealant by McCoy Soudal – one-component joint sealant with plasto-elastic properties. It is also a popular product due to its flame retardant and intumescent properties. Some of its most commonly found applications are:
- Interior applications which call for fire-resistant properties.
- Fire-resistant joints that can offer movements up to 10 per cent.
- It also finds application in connection joints in the building industry which require fire-retardant properties.
- It is also extensively used for sealing cracks and holes in concrete and plaster.
Characteristics of Firecryl FR Fire rated acrylic sealant
Firecryl’s impressive flame retardant properties are a result of the right formulation of the raw materials used. We have listed some of the components below:
- It prevents the entry of fire and smoke.
- In case of a fire, Firecryl FR offers retardation against fire for up to 4 hours.
- The sealant swells when exposed to temperatures above 120oC due to its intumescent properties.
- Can be painted over.
- Offers waterproof surface after curing.
- Superb adhesion to porous surfaces.
- It can be painted over after curing without any problem.
Where Can It Be Used?
Typically, Firecryl FR can be used on all porous building surfaces, provided it is initially made free from dust and grease. However, we recommend that you conduct a preliminary compatibility test to reaffirm its usability on the surface of your choice.
How To Apply Firecryl FR acrylic sealant?
- Use a handheld/ pneumatic caulking gun for application of the sealant.
- Smoothen the sealant with a filling-knife.
- Take care to apply the sealant during room temperature conditions (5-300oC). Using during rainy or frosty conditions is not adviced as it inhibits the curing process.
- Uncured Firecryl FR fire rated acrylic sealant can be removed using water. Cured sealant, however, must be mechanically removed.
- Take care to apply the sealant with the industry-recommended hygiene standards.
Available in: Cartridge (310 mL) or foil bag (600 mL) in white or grey packaging.
What is Fire Rated Acrylic Sealant?
Fire rated Intumescent Acrylic Sealant swells when exposed to temperatures in excess of 125℃ to prevent the passage of fire and smoke and has a fire rating of up to 4 hours in certain joint configurations.
What are FireStop sealants?
Fire rated or Firestop Sealants are used to seal small openings/gaps through penetrants (such as civil pipes, ducts, electrical cables, etc.) passing through walls or floors in buildings. The purpose of fire sealants is to seal any small openings (up to 2-4 cm in diameter) so as to prevent a fire from traveling from a fire area/compartment to another area/compartment of a building or structure. Fire rated sealants , have a fire rating which indicates the time it will stop fire for. Any passive fire product will have a fire rating of up to a maximum of 4 hours.
There are different types of Fire Sealants used for their individual properties. Firestop Sealants can be silicone, ablative or intumescent. They can be elastomeric which indicates their expansion or movement capability from 25% – 50%. SiliconeFirestop Sealants are elastic, maintain stability in high & low temperatures and is resistant to other chemicals, moisture, and weathering. Ablative FireStop Sealants absorb the energy of a fire to protect what is underneath, buying valuable time. They work by consuming heat energy from fire, releasing it in the form of gases as they char to form insulation. Intumescent Firestop Sealantsare used mainly around plastic pipes/materials that penetrate through walls and floors. Intumescents swell as a result of heat exposure, thus increasing in volume and decreasing in density. Intumescent sealant is ideal for use with plastic materials/pipes as the intumescent material is used in accordance with the diameter of a pipe so as to assure that the expansion of the intumescent material is wide enough to seal the opening of the pipe diameter.
Fire protection is really important to preserve life and property. Fire stops can effectively save lives, and minimize damage to building structures & property. Fire-resistant compartments are made in buildings/structures to contain a fire within a compartment. Fire stop products aid in this objective. Therefore, it is important that all openings and gaps in buildings are fire-stopped to restrict horizontal and vertical spreading.