Benefits of Polyurethane foam spray vs traditional methods
Supex 100 Spray Polyurethane Foam offers a strong sound, heat and water insulation. It contributes to heat insulation and decreases the heating/cooling costs of buildings.
Thanks to its high acoustic insulation property, it absorbs sound and offers peaceful living spaces.
It has high resistance against many solvents (acetone, thinner, etc.) particularly water after being cured. That’s why it also contributes to the water insulation of buildings.
- provides increased structural strength to the door frame due to high bonding strength. You can reduce the number of anchor fasteners used for fixing the door frame.
- PUF is not rigid like white cement or putty, hence the joint doesnt crack with time due to expansion & contraction.
- Lower labour cost due to fast process.
- Higher productivity
- additionally provides sound and thermal insulation.
- can be cut with a knife, sanded, painted like normal gap filling putties. Finish or aesthetics is much better than other regular methods.
- Overall lower cost
Charactersitics of PUF sealant
- Single component product, doesn’t require mixing etc
- mildly flexible, can withstand vibrations, building movements
- Bonds all building material, high bond strength
- high gap filling ability upto 50 mm or more – no sealant has this ability
- Excellent stability ,doesn’t shrink, doesn’t sag on vertical surface
- covers large area due to high expansion ratio
- Excellent Thermal, electric, sound insulation
What is a good quality PUF Sealant
- Density of cured PU foam, high density pushes the door frame while low density puf shrinks due to load. Ideal: 25- 30 Kg/m3
- Output of foam generated per 750 ml can, joint yield.
Length of joint covered with 750 ml can is approximately 30 meters. It may vary depending on the gap width & depth between door frame and wall.
- Cellular structure – 70% closed cells
- Weight of 750 ml can: 830 gms and above, sometimes cheap products avaialble fill lesser PUF in the can to reduce price.
- Skin formation : 8-10 minutes
- Cutting time: 25- 35 minutes, affects productivity.
- Fire rating: B1 or B3 , B1 grade is at least twice expensive than B3 grade since B1 is FR PUF- it retards fire upto 120 minutes and it duly approved after testing conducted by a reputed institite. Product data sheets can mention FR data however 3rd party test report for B1 grade is essential.
Is Gun grade PUF sealant better than straw grade pu foam can ?
Ideally, Gun grade is the better option than adopter/straw grade PU foam spray cans. Why?
1. Gun type PU foam sealant is designed for lower expansion and high bond strength – this is essential for door frame fitment. Lower expansion ratio ensures that puf doesnt exert pressure on door frame, high bond strength improves structural strength of door frame.
2. Gun helps in controlling the quantity of Puf used so the wastage is lesser.
Important facts about Gap Filling PU foam spray:
- Always store cans upright.
- Store in a cool and dry place at temperatures between +5°C and 35°C
- Never put a PU foam spray can in direct sunlight
- PU foam spray sealant is not UV resistant so it always needs to be covered with a sealant, paint or plaster.
- Strong bonding characteristics
- Excellent adhesion on most common materials and between different materials
- Effective thermal and acoustic insulation
- Wonderful filling capacities, expands to 40 times its original volume
- Electric insulator
- Environmentally friendly (CFC-free) propellant gas
With which names is the Spray Foam known Worldwide?
It is generally offered in the market with the names; Thermal insulation foam, insulation foam, Spray PU Foam, 2 component spray PU Foam, Heat and Acoustic Spray Insulation foam.
How is Spray Polyurethane Insulation Foam Applied?
Spray Polyurethane Foam is handy and easy to use.
Firstly, a nozzle is firmly fixed on the tip of the application gun for vertical floors. Attention is paid not to have any clearance between the nozzle and the gun. Because, any clearance will result in leakage of foam during the application process.
Then, the can is shaken for at least 20 times. Application gun is fixed by opening the upper lid of the cap by winding up. The screw located at the back side of the gun is untightened and the application pressure can be adjusted as desired. At normal conditions, it is recommended to wind up the screw to the end.
Now the product is applied relatively rapidly at a distance of an average of 40-45 cm from the surface. Getting close or away from the surface may result into some disadvantages. If we get closer to the surface, application thickness increases. Ideal application should be a thickness of maximum 1.5 cm on a single layer. If you conduct a thicker application as a single layer, both the heat and the sound insulation value will decrease. The optimal application should have a thickness of 1.5 cm and in 3 layers overlapping. Then, an application could be done with the performance equal to its equivalent heat and sound insulation. In case an application is made from a distance more than 40-45 cm, application thickness will be decreased and therefore consumption will increase.
For ceiling applications, the gun and the product are held vertical as it would be applied on a vertical floor. In this application, application is done from an average distance of 15-20 cm.